Tasty and nutritious dairy free milk is actually very easy to make. One of the best alternatives to dairy based milk is Almond Milk (view here to see our recipe to make your own Almond Milk) however not everyone can eat nuts. Many people are sensitive to dairy and nuts making choosing a dairy free milk a little more restrictive. Here is our recipe for dairy free and nut free Coconut Drinking Milk.
Enjoy this Coconut Drinking Milk as a snack, over Homemade Gluten Free Muesli, in smoothies, baking, desserts and more.
- Coconut Milk is a low carbohydrate, low sugar, nut free, dairy free milk alternative that provides a source of healthy fats and a low allergy substitute to cow’s milk, soy milk or nut milk.
MYO Coconut Drinking Milk
- 2 cups organic shredded coconut
- 4 cups Cold Filtered Water
- Combine coconut and 2 cups water in a blender, or food processor and blend at high speed for 2 - 3 minutes or until well combined.
- Using a fine strainer, Nut Milk Bag, clean chux or cheese cloth strain the coconut milk into a bowl or jug. Make sure you squeeze all of the coconut milk out from its pulp as possible.
- Return coconut to blender and add remaining 2 cups of water. Repeat process. (The Vitamix is perfect for well-blended and smooth milk).
- Store in an air-tight container in refrigerator.
- For a vanilla flavoured milk add 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Powder.
- For extra sweetness blend shredded coconut with Coconut Water instead of fresh water or add 1 teaspoon Raw Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, 1-2 pitted Dates or Liquid Stevia to taste.
- For added texture skip the straining step and transfer coconut milk straight to your container.
- Using a good quality blender will ensure smooth and creamy Coconut
- Drinking Milk that you can make in minutes. We recommend the Total Nutrition Vitamix.
- Depending on your sensitivity to coconut products, you may or may not be able to tolerate small quantities of coconut milk. Coconut is generally tolerated up to 1/4 cup per serve.