Whole roasted sweet potato stuffed with Mexican fillings made with sweet Australian Onions, protein rich black beans, Mexican spices and topped with homemade salsa and guacamole.
Note: This recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free and Paleo friendly.
Perfect for a family friendly dinner!
Find more healthy and fun family friendly dinner ideas check out my Online Wellness Program.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free. Vegan and vegetarian friendly recipe.
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 x 400 g can black beans, drained
- 1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch good quality salt
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Fresh red chilli, sliced to serve
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180’C.
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place on a baking tray. Bake in oven for approx. 1 hour or until each is soft in the centre.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling and toppings.
- To make filling, heat olive oil in frying pan and add onions. Sauté over low-medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until onions are soft and fragrant. Add garlic and stir until the onions caramelise.
- Stir through cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander and black beans.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make guacamole topping, in a mixing bowl combine mashed avocado with red onion, lime juice, cumin and salt. Adjust seasoning to liking.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked through and cool enough to handle, remove foil and cut lengthways to create an opening, being carefully not to cut the whole way through.
- Spoon filling into each sweet potato and top with salsa and avocado toppings.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chilli.
To add animal protein add shredded or minced cooked chicken, beef, pork or lamb to the caramelised onions to warm through.