A moist and naturally sweet flourless recipe for Healthier Carrot Cake – Gluten Free.
Full of flavour and made with whole food ingredients to nourish. We love this cake for celebrations, birthday’s or just because!
About This Recipe
Instead of refined sugar, this recipe uses the natural sweetness of carrot, pineapple and unrefined coconut sugar to create the perfect balance.
To make this recipe flourless we use almond meal and coconut to provide a moist and flavoursome result. As well, the almond meal provides a source of plant based protein and healthy fats that help bring balance to the natural sugars.
We love the naturally nutritious ingredients that feature in this healthier cake. Including carrots (for vitamins, antioxidants and fibre), eggs (great source of protein), and nuts; almond meal and walnuts (healthy fats, vitamins, fibre and plant protein), to name a few. Together the combination of plant based protein sources, healthy fats and fibre bring balance to the sweetness and natural sugars in the cake.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, grain free, soy free and refined sugar free.
See ingredient notes below on how to make this nut free for allergies.
To make this recipe nut free use sunflower seed meal or tigernut flour (made from a root vegetable and not nuts) instead of almond meal.
Share your Home Baking!
We love seeing your home cooking in our community! I hope your family love our ‘Healthier Carrot Cake – Gluten Free’ as much as mine do. Share your remakes and tag @livelovenourishaus on Instagram or share in our Facebook Community. We can’t wait to see!
Healthier Carrot Cake - Gluten Free
- 4 large free range eggs
- 1.5 cups grated carrot
- 425g unsweetened pineapple rings (drained) or fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup organic dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Extra walnuts to decorate
- 400ml can premium, full fat coconut cream refrigerated overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or equivalent natural sweetener
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C.
- In a blender pulse together eggs, carrot, pineapple to a rough texture (don't over blend). Alternatively whisk eggs and stri through carrot and pineapple (finely chopped).
- In a mixing bowl, add coconut oil, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and combine.
- Add almond meal, coconut and walnuts and mix to combine.
- Pour batter into a medium round cake tine lined with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool.
- Take unopend can of coconut cream out of fridge. Do not shake. Open and scoop out the coconut cream solids that have risen to the top (reserve the liquid for another use such as adding to smoothies or curries).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk coconut cream with maple syrup and lemon juice using electric beaters, until thickened. Approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Spread icing over cake once cooled. Decorate with additional walnuts.
- Serve fresh or refrigerate.
Depending on your desired texture use your blender to combine initial ingredients as per recipe for a smoother cake. Or if you prefer texture mix by hand.
Let’s Stay Connected
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.
This recipe was created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons.