Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Roasted sweet potato loaded with crispy spiced chickpeas, fresh broccolini, sweet pops of cranberry and a nutty crunch from walnuts finished with a creamy tahini dressing.
The perfect budget friendly dinner, meat free meal idea or a fun recipe to add more plant based goodness to your meal plans.
This healthy dinner recipe is gluten free, dairy free and plant based.
To make these Loaded Sweet Potatoes you will need:
Sweet Potatoes – Pick small to medium for the perfect serving size. Or use large and serve x 2 persons. Adjust cooking time to roast until tender.
Chickpeas – Use canned for a quick and easy option. For extra crispiness make sure rinsed chickpeas are drained or use a salad spinner to dry thoroughly and coat generously in extra virgin olive oil.
Broccolini – Or any greens in season including asparagus, spinach or your family’s favourite greens.
Ocean Spray Cranberries – Adding dried cranberries gives a natural sweetness to balance the flavours of the dish. I use Ocean Spray preservative free.
Nuts – Walnuts, pecans or dry roasted almonds work well in this recipe or use your family’s favourite. For nut free see below.
Tahini – use hulled tahini (sesame seed paste), available in the spread section or health food section of the supermarket or at your local health food store. If tahini is not your preference you can use almond butter, cashew butter or macadamia nut butter instead. Or use Greek yoghurt in the dressing instead (omit additional water).
Sea Salt – Use a good quality sea salt instead of table salt for health benefits.
How to Make:
These Loaded Sweet Potatoes are so simple to make. Simply roast halved sweet potatoes in the oven until soft and tender.
Whilst the sweet potato is roasting in the oven you can prepare the fillings, including roasted chickpeas, blanching greens and preparing your dressing.
Once the sweet potatoes are roasted to sweet perfection, simply slice through the centre and stuff with your pre-prepared fillings.
An easy, healthy dinner without fuss!
Dietary Notes and Ingredient Substitutions:
These Loaded Sweet Potatoes are gluten free, dairy free and meat free.
To make this recipe nut free: Swap nuts with pepitas or sunflower seeds.
To make this recipe sesame free: Swap tahini with Greek yoghurt (and omit water) or a creamy nut spread such as almond, macadamia or cashew spread. You can also use sunflower seed spread.
Protein swap: For an alternative protein or to add additional protein add cooked and shredded chicken.
This recipe is a nutritious balance of low GI carbohydrates (in sweet potato), plant based protein (from chickpeas and in combination with nuts and tahini), fibre and micronutrients (in greens) and healthy fats (from tahini and nuts). Together these nutrients make this recipe a healthy dinner or lunch idea.
Packed with plant based nutrition this recipe is one that is great for gut health, with a great example of plant diversity promoting a healthy gut microbiome.
You can make this recipe’s elements ahead of time and reheat and assemble just before serving.
Loaded Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 400 g canned chickpeas
- 2 tsp ground cumin or sumac/ paprika (or spice of choice)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 bunches broccolini or asparagus
- 1/3 cup Ocean Spray Craisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- 2 tbsp water (or more as needed)
- pinch sea salt
- Fresh parsley or fresh chives, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Cut washed sweet potatoes in half lengthways. Brush generously with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place face down onto a lined baking tray. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until tender and caramelised when you turn over. If larger sweet potatoes they may need longer.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Dry off as much excess liquid as you can (spreading out on paper towel or using a salad spinner).
- Spread chickpeas onto a lined baking tray and drizzle generous with extra virgin olive oil and season with chosen spices and sea salt. Toss around and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile steam or blanch broccolini. Sauté spinach. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together ingredients. Set aside. Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
- Turn sweet potatoes flesh side up and season with sea salt. Use a fork to slightly indent for filling. Top with sautéed baby spinach and broccolini. Add chickpeas, Craisins and nuts.
- Drizzle with tahini dressing. Finish with fresh herbs.
Want More Recipes?
Check out our other healthy recipes here. All recipes are made with whole food ingredients, gluten free and dairy free friendly.
Don’t miss a recipe by signing up to the free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Let’s Be Social:
Follow Live Love Nourish on social media for more healthy recipes.
Share The Recipe!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. To share hit the Facebook button to share with friends or Pin to your Pinterest board.
This recipe and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. Collaborating with like-minded business’ to make inspiring and delicious content is our passion but we kindly ask permission is requested to re-share any content.
This recipe is created by nutritionist Casey-Lee Lyons.