Healthy party canapés made with homemade macadamia cream ‘cheese’ topped with smoked salmon, fresh dill and lemon zest on top of crispy cucumber. These make an impressively healthy canapé perfect for entertaining.
The cream cheese component is made with Australian macadamia nuts using a method to make a ‘nut cheese’ that’s free from dairy and plant based.
This recipe is gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
For more healthy entertaining and festive recipes (all gluten free, dairy free and sugar free) check out my Christmas recipe e-book.
- Made with real food goodness.
- Sugar free. Dairy free. Gluten free.
- The recipe provides a high protein and healthy fat party canapé to satisfy whilst reducing carbohydrate and sugar cravings.
- Australian macadamias are a great source of good fats and provide a range of beneficial vitamins and minerals.
- The healthy fats found in macadamias provide a satiating effect and keep you fuller for longer whilst minimising cravings for sweet food.
- Macadamias are also great for your health, blood glucose levels and digestive health. One of my fav nuts!
Watch the video.
Dairy Free Macadamia Cream Cheese & Smoked Salmon Canapes
- 1 cup raw Australian macadamia nuts, soaked overnight*
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice/ Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup filtered water*, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 large cucumber
- 150-200 g good quality smoked salmon, sliced
- Fresh dill
- Lemon zest
- Black Pepper
- *Soak macadamia nuts overnight in water, covered. This helps to make the cream cheese smooth and creamy. Rinse and drain well.
- In a high speed food processor or blender combine macadamia nuts, lemon juice, garlic, water, coconut oil, salt and pepper.
- Blitz until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Adjust seasoning. *Add just a touch of extra water if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix through chives. Set aside in refrigerator to cool.
- Slice cucumbers on a diagonal. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Top with macadamia cream cheese and a piece of smoked salmon on each.
- Top with grated lemon zest and a pinch of cracked black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve, chilled.
- To get the ideal smooth cream cheese consistency you will need a good quality food processor or blender. Personally I blend in my food processor then transfer to my high powered Vitamix blender to finish to get a silky smooth texture.
- *Make sure you use room temperature water otherwise cool water will make your coconut oil hard and affect the consistency.