A moist and naturally sweetened flourless orange and almond cake celebrating whole-food ingredients including whole orange, almonds and dates, to nourish your body from the inside out.
This easy recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Paleo friendly.
- Rich in nourishing and satiating healthy fats and protein.
- Refined sugar free.
- Free from gluten, dairy, grains and soy, suitable for those with these food allergies or intolerances.
- Almonds are rich in healthy fats and vitamin E and are known to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Lowering your LDL cholesterol lowers your risk of heart disease.
- Oranges are rich in vitamins C and potassium and copper providing bonus nutrition.
- Eggs are a great source of complete protein and contain many different vitamins and minerals increasing your overall nutrient intake.
- By adding a source of healthy fat and protein from using almond meal and eggs the effects of the fruit sugar on your blood sugar levels is minimised.
Watch my video below for how to make this simple flourless orange and almond cake. You can also print off the recipe too to remake this cake in your home kitchen.
To keep ingredients fresher for longer I store my almond meal in glass jars away from heat and light in my Mitsubishi Electric Refrigerator fridge along with a jar of medjool dates and a big bag of oranges in the crisper! This is where I am so grateful for the extra crisper room in my fridge making healthy recipes like this one easy to make with ingredients kept on hand.
Share your Home Cooking!
We love seeing your home cooking in our community! I hope your family love making these as much as mine do. Share your remakes and tag @livelovenourishaus on Instagram or share in our Facebook Community. We can’t wait to see!
Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- 3 large sweet oranges
- 4 large free range eggs
- 8 large (150g) medjool dates, pitted & chopped*
- 3 cups (330g) almond meal
- 2 tsp (5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or good quality vanilla extract)
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 175C.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. (Make sure oranges remain covered with water). Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Set aside.
- Cut cooled boiled oranges into quarters (discard any seeds).
- Place boiled oranges, eggs, dates, baking powder and vanilla powder into a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together orange puree with almond meal.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices in your cake tin and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until golden on top (depending on your oven). Check using a skewer. If still wet on the inside continue baking and check every 15 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool for 15 minutes then turn out so the orange slices at the bottom become the top of your cake.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- Boiling the oranges brings out the natural fragrant oils in the skin and adds a gorgeous real orange flavour to the cake.
- I love using my Vitamix to make this cake.
- Instead of lining your cake with orange slices you can also top your batter with almond flakes before baking.
- *If you like your cake extra sweet you can add a few more dates or serve drizzled with maple syrup.
Let’s Stay Connected
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.