Smoothies are a great way to provide your body with lots of immune boosting nutrients. Smoothies are also easy to digest from their ‘pureed’ consistency taking the burden off the digestive process thanks to your blender doing all of the hard work breaking down the food for you, giving your body more energy to do other things!
This paleo immune boosting smoothie is packed full of specific ingredients targeted at boosting your detoxification pathways and promoting optimal immune function.
Quick and easy to make this smoothie is made from whole ingredients making it naturally gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and preservative free.
- Coconut Water is rich in electrolytes (and in-fact is very similar to the human blood plasma) helping to keep your body hydrated. Your immune system functions best when the body’s cells are well hydrated. Hydration is also needed to ensure proper detoxification. When toxins build up in your body your immune system is weakened.
- Did you know kiwi fruit contains more vitamin C than an orange? Vitamin C is known to boost your immune system and aid in a quicker recovery from illness.
- Avocado is a wonderful immune boosting food that also helps to absorb fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Baby spinach is rich in vitamins A and C which help to combat infection and invasion. The antioxidants found in spinach also help to protect your cells from environment damage that can weaken immune response.
- Cucumber is extremely hydrating and rich in minerals and fibre. It’s high alkaline levels help to encourage a healthy environment within your body allowing your immune system to work optimally. Cucumber is also great to hydrate your lymphatic system necessary in the circulation of white blood cells and nutrients throughout your body.
- Limes are also rich in vitamin C helping to speed up your body’s natural healing process.
- Spirulina is rich in chlorophyll which enhances immune function and supports your body’s natural detoxification processes. Sluggish detoxification can impair your immune system’s ability to work at its potential.
- Turmeric has been known throughout the ages to be a powerful immune booster, natural anti-inflammatory and a potent antioxidant. The active compound curcumin found in turmeric possess anti-viral and anti-fungal properties providing strength against infection and illness.
Immune Boosting Smoothie
- Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. (Another great one for the <a href="https://livelovenourish.com.au/shop-online/kitchen-equipment-vitamix/vitamix-total-nutrition-centre-5200">Vitamix</a>
- Pour into a large glass to serve. Serve chilled.
- *You can also substitute coconut water for chilled water or a combination of both water and coconut water.
- To give your immune system an extra boost try adding 2 teaspoons of melted Coconut Oil. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, a potent immune boosting compound that also possess anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
- Add the contents of a probiotic capsule to your smoothie to help enhance your immune function. A healthy intestinal tract is crucial to an optimally functioning immune system.
- Add Pumpkin Seeds for added zinc intake important for healthy immune function.